Sunday, September 21, 2008

011010010101

Darn, I've been putting this off for a while because I really don't know how to start a blog, LOL (is it okay to type 'LOL' on a blog? Does that mean I'm laughing at my own joke?). Anyhoo, earlier this week, we were watching "The Matrix", now I don't know why I didn't like it the first time I saw it. Maybe it's because I don't like Keanu Reeves, maybe it was because of the commercials in between the movie or maybe it was because I only looked forward to the "Neo-dodging-bullets-in-slow-motion" camera movements, but I really got a lot out of the movie and appreciate the Wachowski brothers more than before. The Matrix was a perfect example of Plato's "Parable of The Cave". Some people see the light at the end of the cave and see the world at its fullest (Neo), while others leave the cave and and want to go back (Cypher). Most of the world haven't left the cave at all (like the people within the Matrix) and have yet to see the world and once you have, youll never want to turn around. "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. It's really a sci-fi movie on its own level, there's not much you can compare it to. It's just it's own type of sci-fi. I suppose this parable really gave me an idea of what to look forward to when watching this. The "Alice In Wonderland" references were quite a help too, LOL. The kung-fu/spaghetti-western feel in the fighting sequences will probably never be done as well as the Wachowski brothers did it, like that final fighting scene between Agent Smith and Neo. It had that western feel, like when the newspaper flew between them, it signified the cliche tumbleweed that blows through the southern draw. Religion also played a key in the film. I mean really, if you didn't see Neo as a christ-like figure, you need to watch it again. All in all, I really liked the film a lot more this time around then I have when watching it on FOX 5. A really great film and a really great example when trying to understand Plato's "Parable of The Cave".

1 comment:

Nervel said...

Haha it's your own blog so LOL'ing is fine, just dont over use it LOLOL. Anyways good job comparing The Matrix and the Allegory of the Cave, i liked those examples you gave. Good job man.